Recipes of Tamil Legacy
I was fortunate to be in Madurai during the Pongal festivities and got to witness some truly traditional treasures. One of them being plate full of, ancient revived recipes organised by the Courtyard Marriott
Chef Somu & Chef Raghavan have shared their favourite ones from the thali
Watch the video to know more about it
Now for the recipes
RECIPE: Neem Blossom Rasam
VEPPAM POO RASAM*
1) Tamaraind pulp-50grams
2) Fresh Tomato puree-6nos
3) Turmeric powder-1 teaspoon
4) Curry leaves-5grams
5) Refined oil-100ml
6) Red chilli-5nos
7) Black pepper-10grams
9) Cumin seeds-10grams
10) Mustard seeds-3grams
11) Coriander leaves- 10grams
12) Salt-to taste
13) Dried neem flower-30grams
1) Crush the garlic, jeera, red chilli, black pepper and keep aside.
2) Heat oil in a hundi, crackle mustard and curry leaves, add the crushed ingredients and saute.
3) Now add the tomato puree, and boil until the raw flavor of tomatoes goes off.
4) Add tamarind pulp and 2cups of water and keep in simmer until the froth comes out(should not boil)
5) Finish with coriander leaves.
6) In a separate pan, heat ghee and add the neem flowers and fry until golden brown and add to the rasam.
*RECIPE: Ulundhu sadam (Black lentil rice)*
1) Black lentil-1/2 cup
2) Ponni rice-1cup
3) Gingelly oil-2 tbspn
4) Garlic peeled-5 pods
5) Cumin seeds-3grams
6) Salt-to taste
7) Water-4 cups
1) In a pressure cooker, heat oil, add jeera and and water.
2) Now add the remaining ingredients and allow for 2 whistles and keep on 10mins simmer.
RECIPE: Keppai Kali (Ragi)
1) Ragi flour-1cup
2) Water- 3 cups
3) Gingelly oil- 2 tbspn
4) Salt-To taste
1) In a bowl mix the ragi flour and 1cup of water.
2) In a thick bottomed pan, add 2cups of water and boil.
3) Now add the diluted ragi flour along with salt and mix continuously.
4) When is gets thick, add the gingelly oil.
5) Serve hot with dry fish curry.
*RECIPE: NETHILI KARUVATTU KUZHAMBU (DRIED ANCHOVY CURRY)*
That’s my favourite
1) Dried nethili-50grams
2) Gingelly oil-75ml
3) Mustard seeds-3grams
4) Methi seeds-3grams
5) Shallots peeled-65 grams
6) Slice tomatoes-2nos
7) Garlic pods-10nos
8) Red chilli powder-1tbspn
9) Coriander powder-2tbspn
10) Turmeric powder- 1 tspn
11) Tamarind pulp-5ograms
12) Curry leaves-5grams
13) Salt- to taste
1) Wash the nethili in turmeric water, drain and keep aside.
2) In a pan, heat oil and crackle curry leaves mustard and methi seeds.
3) Now add the shallots and garlic pods and saute till it turns brown.
4) Now add the tomatoes and cook well.
5) Add the dry masala powders and tamarind pulp with little water, cook until the oil comes out.
6) Now add the dried nethili and cook for 5mins.
7) Serve hot with Ragi kali or Ulundhu sadam.
Sounds yummy right ???
Leave a comment and let me know what you are going to try.